Thursday, September 2, 2010

Grand Teton NP to Yellowstone NP

It was a very cold and wet start today. I slept a little longer hoping the rain would pass, but it did not. I spent the morning under some trees to keep dry until I got everything put away. Then I rode back into Jackson to supply up on a cup of joe and some gas then headed north towards Yellowstone. Couldn't really see much on the trip up the clouds were low enough to cover up all the peaks and the roads were wet so I was really concentrating. When I arrived at the Yellowstone Park gate there was a sign that said traction tires advised and was a little worried. I talked to the ranger and they said they had that up for people to be cautious but there was no snow on the pass. Needless to say I was really worried and took my time getting up to the pass but it turns out that it stayed right about 50 degrees and when I was just about to the pass the roads were all dry. I some how had forgotten that all the Yellowstone gysers and geothermal events are quite far into the park. But I made it to Old Faithful and didn't have to wait too long to see her go up. Then I walked around the gyser field and checked things out. They have a new HUGE visitors center up there now right next to the original lodge. They weather stayed good enough to enjoy myself but then I saw some clouds moving in and was in a bit of a hurry to get to camp and set up. Luckily not a drop of rain sence this morning. I got camp all set up and had some food then walked down to Firehole River and found some warm springs that dumped right out into the river and the whole river had little bubbles coming up from the bottom. When I was engrosed by mother nature she surprised me again. I hear what sounded like fat kids stomping down the hill to the river but I turned and looked and a bull Elk ran right between me and the camp. He crossed the river and went on his merry way. He was only about 20 yards away with those huge antlers. Well tomorrow looks like it will be dry all the clouds have moved on but then again thats what I said last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment