Thursday, September 2, 2010

Jackson to Grand Teton National Park

I was foiled again this morning by the elusive Alpine slide. The day before was rain and today at 10 am they didn't open till 11, I could have waiting but thought it best to press on because the weather looked iffy. Well the weather looked iffy all day today and sans a few sprinkes here and there I have stayed pretty dry. After the failed alpine slide I made it a few miles outside of town to Teton Village where the world famous Jackson Hole Ski area is. I took the tram to the top of Rondevous Mountain. Man what a view. It was mostly broken up by the clouds running around the tops of the mountains but when you got to see through them the view is spectacular. It reminded me of the time I climbed Static Peak when I was at camp. The peaks are a few miles apart but taking the tram to the top at 10,400 feet or so is awesome. There is a new tram they built in 2008 and it can hold 100 people and climbs over 4000 vertical feet which in the winter time you can SHRED down it! I HAVE to come back and snowboard this mountain. 50% black dimond 40% blue runs and only 10% green. The Tram serves only black dimond runs. Back down in the village I picked up some more warm clothes and just walked around for a bit and tried to picture what it would look like with an average base snow of 80". After the Teton Village I rode into Teton National Park and rode around for a while checking out all the view areas and found a place to camp. This is the part it drizzled on me for. Then I headed out to the park determined to forget about the no tresspassing signs and go to the place where I went to camp. I got quite a bit down the road to a bridge that crossed the Gros Venture River and stopped and if this was a cartoon a big ? would have showed up above my head. Just pass the bridge I saw where the rodeo grounds USED to be and thought to myself "Keep the memories you have and don't ruin them with what is there now." I said to my self thats a great idea and turned around. I think my mind was telling me that I probably wouldn't like what I saw and be upset about it. Listen to youself, your mind knows what its doing. That's one of the best things that I have really found out about my self is my gut is pretty much always right and to listen to what it has to say. So after that I made my way back into the Park and grabbed one of the few campsites left and set up camp about 200 yards from Jenny Lake in the shadows of the great Teton Mountain range.

No comments:

Post a Comment