Monday, August 9, 2010

Bodie to Bishop

Today I got up and kinda booked it through Yosemite because I had seen it all the first day, but hat doesn't stop me from looking around and finding things I didn't see before. My plan was to head to a place that was recommended by the guy I rode with yesterday, a ghoast town that was being kept in a state of "arrested decay". So it was about 30 miles south of Lee Vining which was about 70 or so miles from the camp site, so a pretty good haul this morning and the last 3 miles to Bodie was all gravel. You turn the corner and head down this hill and you can start to see the expance of this little town seemingly in the middle of nowhere. Come to find out that what you can see is only a mear 5% of what the town used to be in its hay-day. Simply amazing, long story short it was a hugely productive gold and silver mine that at one point in time was home to 10,000 people in the late 1800's. It was also one of the first mines to be powered but hyroelectricity, sent over some of the first every power transmission lines. Pretty wild, I have tons of pictures and they will be on photobucket when I get a chance. I spent about 3 hours there and saw a huge rain cloud come over the mountains so I thought it best to get on the road, the only thing I missed what the cemetary.
My intentions were to get to Bishop but with the weather coming and time flying I was booking it down HWY-395 at great vilocity. I went by a few campsites and they were all full then I made it to Mammoth Lakes and they were all full including hotels because there was a music festival in town. I then tried a campsite a few miles out of town, full. So here I am in a circus camp site just south of Bishop where its just grass and RV's but its cheaper than a hotel and I missed the National Forest where I could put up anywhere off the road, I just was running from the weather. So tomorrow Las Vegas is not to far away and I think its about time to start heading more east and coming face to face with the desert heat, wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment