Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Sonoma, San Antonio, George West, Corpus Christie to Mason, TX

Well I got on the road early from Sonoma to haul ass to San Antonio to meet Sam. I got there early and had to hide in the shadow of Sam's Saturn to stay out of the heat.... So we made into to San Antonio and the first stop was this map shop and man it was one of the coolest things of San Antonio. They had maps from all sorts of country and they were all from the 1400's to the 1800's, amazing stuff. Then we went to the Alamo which was pretty cool but there is only some of it left and what I didn't know it the iconic picture of the Alamo is actually the church of the whole fort. I thought it was the entrance to the fort. Anyway it was pretty packed with people and commercialized so it was good to see but I think it would be just as good to read about it. Then we went down to the river walk and proceeded to start drinking and then walking and then drinking and repeat. But then it just turned into drinking. We got a hotel ahead of time and I am glad we did by the end of the night. So the next day was slow going but we made it down to George West where Sam lives and just hung out and caught up. Then Sam started to show me all the awesome wild life that is prominent in his area, pretty much huge or stinging insects or spiders and thats pretty much it. The next day was a lazy day for me which was really nice, some time to recover after the long and fast haul to make it there for the weekend. That night we cooked up a good old fashion steak. The best part about Texas is the mesquite trees that grow every where and you can just cut them down and cook with them, it's very convenient. The next day we drove down to Corpus Christie and while Sam "worked" I spent the day on the USS Lexington, a WW II air craft carrier. There is good reason I spent the whole day there, so much to see and learn! Pretty amazing, instead of talking about it here I recommend to read about it on the interweb. Then it was back to the home stead for some Scotch Pie and Scotch eggs!
Today was a early wake up and I was moving all morning but I did't get everything done till about 11:30 and was on the road by noon. I was gonna be able to make it to Abilene but I showed up here in Mason about 20 minuets behind a rain storm and looked on my phone and saw another one headed this way so I thought it best to hold up here for the night. Tomorrow I am gonna make it to Abilene for lunch so I can eat a steak by Sam's favorite steak house then hopefully make it out of the state of Texas....

No comments:

Post a Comment