Saturday, August 28, 2010

Dinosaur NM to Rock Springs, WY

It rained pretty hard last night with a little bit of thunder (kachuga kachuga, from the movie Cars don't know if I got it right) Anyway moving on, I rode up past the camp ground to some petroglyph's and then there was this little cabin at the end of the canyon which was owned by a lady who ran it by herself until she was in her 90's. She used the canyons as natural pens for her livestock. I then made it to the Flaming Gorge Dam, amazing. It was built almost exactly like the Hoover Dam but in the 50's so it was documented very well. The tour is pretty simple but you get to go outside at the base of the damn and get to look up at it from just about water level. The wild part about the whole tour was there was me and another fellow on this tour and that was it. It turned out that he was from the UK and was on a solo motorcycle trip around the country. What are the chances that the only 2 people on the tour are doing solo motorcycle trips. He was riding a Harley that had 10 beautiful ladies air brushed on it from the 40's and 50's movie era. After we got done with the tour I say some pretty dark clouds gathering and decided it was time to get on the road. I was going to take the west side of Flaming Gorge Reservoir and made it to Manila, UT and pulled into a gas station just has the heart of the storm passed over. I'll tell you one thing when you riding just in front of a storm and you see lighting strikes a few miles away you body tries to make you the lowest part of the bike, which isn't possible. All I could think about was getting to safety but there was no where to go until I got to Manila. So I had lunch there and was waiting for the storm to pass so I could follow it. Just as I was getting on the bike this older gentlemen stopped for gas in his Mercedes and told me he just drove through the worst rain storm of his life coming from Green River, WY which is where I was headed. We looked at the clouds and thought it would be best to ride the 35 miles back from the dam and take the east road past the reservoir, which paid off. A few times I begged the road to turn more north because I was headed to the next storm, but I managed to find the window and flew a couple of miles an hour over the speed limit to beat the storm, and it worked. I have been so lucky with rain storms. I've run in to some rain drops here and there but full on storms I have managed to miss. I found a great place right on the hwy I am gonna take up to Jackson tomorrow and a laundry mat right next door. I am excited to get up to Jackson and check some things out where the last time I saw it was over 10 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment