Thursday, August 12, 2010

Jacob Lake, AZ to Roswell, NM

This entry in a 2 for 1 because I spent quite some time riding yesterday. So I didn't spend the night on the rim of the Grand Canyon because I got a little bit of the rush panic to try to make it to San Antonio for the weekend. I did spend the whole morning on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and man, if I have learned anything is why these places I have visited are National Parks. They are amazing places and they really are in our own back yard. The Grand Canyon is absolutely amazing, the size of the whole place is the majority of it. At one view point, your sitting there looking at little peaks in the canyon and its all beautiful, then you read the placard and realize that its 2 and a half miles away but it looks like its maybe a few hundred yards. Then its 18 miles to the other side of the canyon. So I will recommend, with out going to the south rim, that every one should go to the north rim. But I might report on that later. So once I was out of the Canyon I just put my hand to the rubber (like peddle to the metal, but for motorcycles) ((I actually just made that up so I cannot comment on the accuracy of that statement)) And rode all the way to Gallop, NM. There was the Vermilion Cliffs that I rode by which were and amazing shade of red, that just sprung up right out of the ground. The rest of the trip was pretty much rolling hills and I rode about 2 hours at night so I didn't get to see a whole lot. Although there was an amazing meteor shower above my head and a thunder cloud about 60 miles north that was helping light the way.
Got up and just started rideing. It's amazing how much time you spend on a motorcycle and feel like if you drove in a car for the same amount of time you could get a lot farther. I spent the day pretty much either chasing rain storms or out running them through the rolling hills of easter New Mexico. There wasn't much beside straight roads and rolling hills so I just kept on the throttle. I was excited to get to Roswell and check out all the alien stuff. I got here and was disappointed. I thought there would be alien stuff everywhere but in reality there are a few shops and 1 museum that I am aware of and the rest is farm town. Maybe I am in the wrong area but disappointed from what I have seen. Tomorrow more riding just to put the miles behind me so I can make it to San Antonio for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment