Thursday, August 12, 2010

Henderson, NV to Jacob Lake, AZ

Today seemed to be a pretty boring day really. I spent quite some time on the freeways and in construction zones. Apparently August is the time to do road construction in the desert, who could have guessed. So I rode around half of Lake Mead, which is HUGE by the way. At one point I thought I had left the lake and headed into the desert then about 15 miles later I met up with the northen arm of the lake. Then it was all 75 mph freeway through Mesquite, NV spent 1 hour driving through the northwestern corner of Arizona then was in Utah for about 2 hours and now I am back in Arizona at a camp ground about 70 miles from the north rim of the Grand Canyon. I could have gotten here faster except I wanted to go through Zion National Park. Which was awesome but I didn't take many pictures because, guess what, half of the park was getting re-paved. It was a welcome change from the brown and heat of the desert and I thought I would be thankful that it 99 degrees, the desert hit 110. Lots of red and white sandstone, very pretty and amazing. So you drive into the park, go up several switch backs then through a 1/4 mile tunnel and then your pretty much out of the park. The color of everything on the way down through Utah and into Arizona is the coolest part, very dark and rich hues of red. I stopped at the ranger station out side of the national forest and the guy told me of a spot I can reach thats not quite in the National park but about an hours ride on gravel I can camp right on the rim of the canyon with no one around. So tomorrow I am going to go head to the north rim touristy part then come back out and camp all by my lonesome. Which I am kind of nervous about but I think I'll just pick up some extra water and have at it! Well I still gotta set up my bed because I was in a hurry to put the tent up and try to eat because it rained a little bit on me!

No comments:

Post a Comment