Monday, August 9, 2010

Las Vegas

So the first leg of the trip was on highway 168 and it was a pretty fun road but you really couldn't make anything of the twisties that were offered because the road followed every bump and dip of the ground it was laid on. So it felt like it was upset the suspension and made the bike harder to control around the corners. All in all it was a great road. At the summit it turns into a one lane road that was run right through the rock then you come out of the other side and you start to look down into those big Nevada valleys with the extremely straight roads to the other side where you get back into the hills. Then just straight and high speed highway all the way to Vegas. So much there seemingly in the middle of no where. I decided to stay the night on the strip because I was there. I stayed at the New York New York. The zoo that is Vegas is absolutely crazy. I think though if America wasn't so fat the pedestrian traffic wouldn't be too bad. I just spent the evening walking down the strip and checking it out. Got to bed a little late and woke up feeling horrible I think its because I mixed tequila with whiskey, I didn't drink that much maybe 6 drinks but I woke up feeling like I drank the whole bottle. So needless to say it was a late start this morning. I headed toward The Hoover dam and ended up spending the day there. That is the epitome of a great engineering feat. The size of it and the slight hum you can hear from the turbine generators is amazing. I took the dam tour which takes you all the way down into the damn, you first go about 570 feet under the damn then it ends at the top, with a stop in the generator room. So worth the money to go for the big tour. I spent the rest of the time checking out the little museum and just walking around admiring it all and trying to imagine what it was like being there while it was being built. It's hard to put into words the things that I have been seeing and pictures don't work either so you guys are just gonna have to see these things for yourself! Speaking of pictures I am trying to load them all on Photobucket so you have access to all of them and not 1 or 2 that would be on here. Back to today, I was feeling terrible and I spent about 5 hours at the damn and I didn't have food supplies to camp so I cam back to Henderson and grabbed another hotel and went to "town" and got some supplies. Tomorrow the plan is the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Wish me luck on finding a camp site because you can only reserve a spot no sooner than 2 days in advance. Lame. I am looking forward to getting back up to the high desert where its cooler and cools off at night, because it was 108 at one point today here...... Way to hot for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment