Saturday, August 28, 2010

Estes Park to Grandby Lake

The ride thought Rocky Mountain National Park is absolutly incredible. You weave your way up the side of the Rockies, where there is hundered foot drops to the side. You end up at the highest point somewhere north of 12,000 feet. As with all the national parks I have been to its a circus. To top it off there was road construction, of course. Besides these few little gripes there is the wonder of what it was like before huge RV's or even motorbikes where your taking these roads on horse and buggy or even on foot like the mountain men. It is also no wonder that places like this are National Parks. There were a few camp grounds before you headed over the Great Divide and I was going to check the park out and head back if need be but because of construction and all the traffic I headed out of the park. I went through several camp grounds that were RV heavy until I found the one I am at, which is still RV heavy but all along the lake front it tent camping... My tent is sitting 12 feet or so from the edge of the lake. Back to the Park though. The Great Divide is a little spot, where basically you can sit in the middle and put one foot on one side and the other foot on the other. If you want a great Divide experiance I would recommend the southern route through the Rockies where there is a lake and one side drains to the Pacific and the other the Atlantic. I will say it again though. Washington and Oregon has wonderful mountains but there is nothing like Colorado to access the mountains with such ease. What a beautiful place, you have to experience it to believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment