Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Rock Springs to Jackson Hole

Slow start today, I was waiting for some of the storm to move off so I would't chase it down today. I only had a short 3 hour ride anways so no worries. From the start in Rock Springs you can just start to see the Windy River Mountain range to your right and rolling hills to the left. I did find out first hand why they call it the Windy River Mountains. A pretty steady 15 mph wind was hitting me on the left side pretty much the whole time pushing me and and bike around. As you start to head north you then can see the Wyoming Mountains to your left and the further you traveled north the closer those mountain ranges got. I stopped for a short while in Pinewood to top off the tank and there was a Mountain Man Museum. Lots of cool old artifacts from the fur trading days but they also had Jim Bridgers rifle that he carried on his trapping exploits. Back on the road the mountain ranges get to a point where they touch and thats the pass you go over into Jackson Hole. Shortly there after you are in the town of Jackson. I spent some time here as a kid at Teton Valley Ranch Camp and would check out the town when my parents came down to pick me up and it seems the same but totally different. I attribute some of it to I was here almost 15 years ago and thats almost longer then half the time I have been alive. I did remeber the antler archways that are in the center of town. And I was going to head to the Jackson Pharmacy to get a milk shake but as it turns out some people bought them out and now its an art gallery. Life just keeps moving on erasing everything you know. So I was split between getting a hotel because of the weather or camp but just as I was about to grab a hotel it looked like the clouds were moving on. I rode out of town into the Teton-Bridger National Forest and headed towards the place I went to camp. You pass the tiny little town of Kelly who's population was about 10 up from 5 when I was here and then you turn towards the camp. Some time ago the dumb kids of the owners sold the property and now its just call Teton Vally Ranch. I wish they would have come up with something else if your just gonna tear town the memories of hundereds of kids who attented that camp. Hell my dad and his two brother attended when they were kids. The camp is still alive but it had to move to the Idaho side of the Mountains. There is a big No Tresspassing sign but I much just go for it and see what happends, or try to call them tomorrow and ask if I can swing by and see how much they desicrated the place. Enough ranting, I grabbed a campsite just up the Gros Venture River. It's on a lake that was created by a huge landslide. Tomorrow I am unsure of what I am going to do. I do want to swim in Kelly Warm Springs and maybe go for a hike. It's still as beautiful as I remeber here. The Tetons rise out of the ground with just an impressive wall of rock and stand look out over the valley. Its amazing how memories come flooding back with just the simplest thing. I have smelled Sage Brush before but it is a completely different smell here in Jackson. As with this whole trip I will tell every one you will actually have to be here to take in all the beauty of this place. Once you have been here then you will see why there will always be a little piece of my heart that stays right here in Jackson Hole.

No comments:

Post a Comment