Saturday, August 28, 2010

Grandby lake to Dinosaur National Monument

Today, I am sorry to report, was a pretty un eventful day. I am back slogging through miles of highway but unlike Texas or south east New Mexico there is actually things to see on the trip. Once I got out of the mountain area of Steamboat Springs, which is a pretty cool town, it turned in to big rolling hills which reminded me a lot of eastern Washington and Oregon. In stead of wheat feilds and farms it was just rolling hills of Sage brush. Then I was creeping (70 MPH) towards the border of Utah the geologically fasinating mountains started to rise again. The colors and the crazy shapes these hills and mountains make almost makes we want to switch gears and become a geologist, maybe I can do it on my days off. I arrived on the southern end of Dinosaur National Monument and found out that they big display of bones is closed. They have to rebuild the facillity because the gound kept shifting under in and broke down the foundations. So tonight it will just be camping and on the road tomorrow which out a chance to see much. I did manage to snag a camp site right near the Green River. I always love camping next to a river and hear the water flowing past. On the down side the river is flowing way to fast for me to hop in a cool off and take a bath so its a couple more days of sweaty stinkyness. Oh and the crikets or what ever insect is makeing that racket is either getting louder or closer so its starting to drown out the river noise. More on the trip tomorrow, Good afternoon, good evining and good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment